Sunday, May 5, 2013

Cakes and More Cakes

I'm going to make this a super quick post since I need to go to bed.

Today Winona's piano teacher came over and taught me how to decorate cakes.  She is a professional cake maker.  In fact, her son was asked to go on cupcake wars. She is amazingly talented and took three hours out of her day to teach me!  I'm one lucky girl.

I baked and frosted this cake
So, she taught me how to make boarders around the cake using tips and the plastic bags.  I didn't know how or if I would be able to do it.  Surprisingly, I didn't do too bad.  In fact, she said that the cake I did didn't look any different than that you would find at the Byerly's bakery!  Whoot Whoot!!  She also taught me how to make little flower candies to put on cakes.  They were a bit difficult because my hand would get very tired.  I pushed through it though and was determined to get some cute candies made.  They will take a bit more practice, but I was thrilled that I had the dexterity to do it.  Finally, she showed me how to frost a cupcake.  We're not talking using a butter knife and smearing the frosting on.  I used the tips and bags again for this and they turned out so cute!!

I am so grateful.  When I was correctly diagnosed three years ago, the first thing I did was bake cupcakes.  I have come so far and can only imagine how much more I will learn to do when it comes to baking cakes.




I baked and frosted these cupcakes.  Winona and Sharon made these block candies and put them on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment