Saturday, August 4, 2012

Under Control

My high level of stress from this week has passed and I am so grateful.  Stress has always affected my symptoms and since my correct diagnosis of DRD that hasn't changed.  This past week, I kept losing my balance.  Luckily, I never fell, but I came close a few times.  The girls were with me in the garage and I was carrying John in his car seat and trying to open the door.  Out of nowhere, I stumbled.  The girls looked at one another and then at me.  They both asked if I was okay, which was so sweet of them.  Maintaining my balance isn't my only issue.  

When my body is under stress or I'm lacking sleep, I twitch.  I tend to notice it more in my hands than anything making it difficult to hold items in my hands.  However, yesterday I was sitting on a stool next to a friend and I kept kicking her.  Actually, it was more like a tap, but I couldn't control it.   

I try to keep my stress to a low, but it isn't always possible.  I'm trying really hard to put myself first, because if I'm not well, it will make it that much more difficult for me to take care of my family.  This week I have been exercising 45 minutes a day on the Wii.  That has really helped.  Plus, it's fun.  I tend to do Just Dance for 30 minutes and then different balance games on Wii Fit (thanks Gary!).  

Even though I have been on my new medication for 2 years, I have so much to learn about myself.  In the past, I was so limited as to what I could do.  Now, I have to learn what my daily limits are.  Because there are so many things I can phsyically do, I want to do them all at once.  Unfortunately, that isn't possible.  I need to pick and choose what needs to be done so my body doesn't have to deal with stress. This is all a good learning experience for me.

I am so grateful, that I can do so many things.  I have a wonderful family that I get to take care of every day. What a wonderful gift that is!  


No comments:

Post a Comment