Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Facing My Fears...Again

This past weekend I rode a bike!!!!

I met up with my childhood friends at a state campground.  While we were sitting around my friend, Angie, suggested that I try riding one of their bikes.  I didn't think she was serious until she said that she would hang on to the back of the bike for me.  After some hesitation, I decided to give it a whirl.

I hadn't ridden a bike since I was twelve. It took my brother, Tom, three summer to teach me how to ride without training wheels. I never thought I would be able to do it, but the day I finally took off down our driveway was one of the most freeing days of my life.

By the time I was twelve, it became too difficult for me to ride my bike an longer.  So, when my friends suggested I try the bike again, I was a bit scared.  They quickly reminded me that, "once you learn how to ride a bike you never forget how."  We all thought this would be a great opportunity to see if that old saying is true.  I am proud to say that it is!

Angie and Lonnie grabbed on to the back of the bike (where a toddler would sit)  and told me to peddle.  A few seconds into the fiasco, I told them to let go.  "Are you sure?" they asked.  "Yes, let go."  Then I was off down the dirt road of the campground.  I could help but scream a bit.  I tried not to, but I just couldn't help it.  I was letting out what sounded like high pitch dog barks.  Steve even said that a dog barked back.  So, to say I was nervous was an understatement, but who cares.  I did it!

1 comment:

  1. I am grinning from ear to ear! Thanks for calling yesterday and sharing your story:) We are so happy for you and your family!

    You've come a long way, Baby!!!

    ReplyDelete