Friday, September 9, 2011

Away We Go

Last night I told Sharon that I would be driving us to the cabin tonight (Steve is already there).  She looked at me with concern in her eyes.

 "What is it?" I asked.

She informed me that not only have I never driven to the cabin, but in the past I couldn't drive at night.

She's absolutely right.  In the past, my muscles would have been far to spastic for me to drive after 3pm.  I always relied on others to chauffeur me and the girls to all the activities.  For those that know me, you are aware that it's never been easy for me to ask for help.  I always wanted to be independent.  Once the girls were born I had to swallow my pride and accept help from friends and family.

I am truly grateful for the ability to drive no matter what time of the day it is.  It has opened so many doors for me. I can take my girls to basketball practice, pick them up from school, take them to church classes and even be a Girl Scout leader.  It's much easier to put events on the calendar when I don't have to call others for help.  If I want/need to take the girls somewhere I just do it.  Independence is an amazing gift.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our quiet Sharon is a deep thinker. This is not the first time she has commented on changes. She told you that you didn't need the walker any longer when you and Steve were sorting items in the exercise room. Sharon is a giver already..... kind, thoughtful, considerate, observant, and loving :) I have no doubt that she is thankfull for your independence!

    ReplyDelete