Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Cooking with DRD

Even though I have always tried to keep a positive attitude, I hated to cook!  In the past, it would take me double to triple the time to make a classic Minnesota Hotdish ( a can of creamed soup, meat and noodles).  Plus, the end result wasn't as good as what most people could make.  Mine would often be over cooked and dry.  In fact, Sharon would use Ketchup at nearly every meal to mask the taste.  Through the years of  struggling to cook I became very unsure of my abilities and doubted myself a great deal.  Therefore, we ate frozen lasagna and other entree's weekly.

One year ago, I decided that enough was enough and I was going to teach myself how to cook!  At first, I wouldn't change a single thing about any recipe that I found online, fearing that if I did it would turn out terribly.  In the beginning, I'd often call my parents or e-mail Steve at work with questions such as, "how do I know when the pork chops are done?" to "why should I use fresh garlic over powdered garlic."  It's been quite the journey.  My cooking has improved a great deal and I even feel comfortable cooking for those who are not in my family.

After I try making a new recipe, I often feel proud of myself.  In fact, yesterday I made two loaves of white bread.  After 3 hours of prep and baking, I pulled the pans out of the oven and all but jumped up and down with gratitude because it looked just like it was supposed to.  The kids and I took a taste and their expressions told me that I exceeded their expectations.  I think the girls were just as happy as I was that I succeeded in my baking.  I can't believe how far I have come in this last year and am so excited to continue creating more delicious meals for my family, without it feeling like such a chore.

Oh, and I must add that there is only 1/4 of a loaf left!


No comments:

Post a Comment