Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Berry Good Life

While we were at the cabin celebrating the Fourth of July, Steve and the girls picked Strawberries (I watched John).  When we returned to the cabin, Winona and I spent nearly 2 hours washing and cutting the Strawberries.  When we started the process, I thought that I would only be able to do it for a half an hour.  I wasn't sure if my hands would begin cramping or if my feet would get too sore standing for a long period of time.  Winona kept saying how much fun she was having and that she could "do this all day."  Her positive energy kept me going and I was happy to be working by her side.  I do need to admit that Sharon filled in for me so I could take a 15 minute break.  It is so rewarding to be able to participate in my families activities.

We cut up two pallets worth of Strawberries

Winona and I cutting while Steve sugars the Strawberries

With all of these strawberries, I had to make Strawberry Shortcake.  I have to admit, I didn't have a clue how to do it.  Sure, I only used Bisquick for the cake cake, but I had never made whipping cream from scratch.  I grew up in a household where we used Cool Whip. :)   Since there were no instructions on the heavy whipping cream, I had to ask Steve how to make it.  It turned out quite well and I'm thinking that there will be more Strawberry Shortcake in the very near future.
Winona 

There are a couple lessons here:
1)  keep a positive attitude as it will surely rub off on others
2)  No matter what you do together as a family, a memory is being created.  
3)  Strawberry Shortcake is really yummy and there is no substitution for "whipping cream"

I hope you will go out and enjoy the little things in life and see that they are the most important.  





No comments:

Post a Comment