Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Fishing We Will Go

This past weekend we went up to the Boundary Waters and stayed at a cabin on Moose Lake.  While there, we spent a day fishing.  We met our fishing guide, Sue, at the dock at 8am and didn't return until nearly 7pm.  This was a first for me and prior to our departure, I wasn't a bit nervous.  I knew that I would be able to sit in a rocking boat for several hours and walk into the woods to use the latrine.

When we headed to shore for lunch (our guide brought a shore lunch), she asked me to jump out of the boat and hold it just enough so it wouldn't float away.  I have to admit, I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it and my sister-in-law, Emily, offered to do it for me.  Even though I was uncertain of my abilities, I had to try and I knew that there was a good chance I would fall into the shallow water in the process.

As soon as I got to the front of the boat and we were inches from shore, I put my right leg on land and quicly said, "I'm glad I've got long legs!"  And that's when I just about did the splits over the water.  I had one leg planted on the ground and the other still in the boat.  I was able to get both legs on land without falling in the lake.  I was proud that I attempted this task, but after lunch I asked Steve for help getting back into the boat.  I wasn't about to press my luck and wanted to stay dry the rest of the afternoon

I really enjoyed spending the day fishing, talking with Emily and getting to know Sue, all while watching the great view God had created.  I must add, that I caught nine fish. Not bad for a rookey. Of course, I couldn't have done it without the help of Sue.  

4 comments:

  1. That's so awesome!!! Love reading your blog : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! That really means a lot to me. I was very hesitant to start a blog, but I was encouraged to do so by many friends. I just hope it helps people to appreciate the little things in life. I have so much to be thankful for! Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. I loved reading about your day of fishing. I lived in Ely while I was in middle school. My dad was a USFS employee up there. And we are about to embark on a Fall trip around the lake. (It may not be quite as romantic as your honeymoon trip, though.) It should be pretty as the leaves are turning color here. At least they are starting to turn color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, Glad you enjoyed the post! It was a really fun, relaxind day. I hope you have a safe trip looking at the leaves. Fall is my favorite season since the weather is nearly perfect and the beauty of the trees! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete