Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Martial Arts

When I was a little girl I was never in sports for the obvious reason.  If  I couldn't stand still for more than a few seconds, if at all, there is no way that I could dribble a basketball down the court, slide into home plate or run hurdles in track.  That's why it is really hard for me to believe that I have joined Steve and the girls in their Martial Arts class on Wednesday nights.

My supportive, optimistic instructor new me when I was unable to walk and depended on my scooter to get around.  I'm sure that's why he is so patient and understanding while I have been learning to stand on one leg and attempt kicks.  At the end of every class I have a very strong sense of accomplishment.  Tonight was no different.

This evening we worked on defending ourselves if some one attacks us and gets our back to the ground.  Steve and I were paired up and I was pinned to the ground.  Our instructor walked me though what to do, and in the end I had my legs wrapped around Steve's neck, squeezing it as hard as I could.  I had such a mix of emotions.  I couldn't help but giggle, because of the obvious, but I realized how far I have come this past year.

Just over a year ago, my legs didn't allow me to stand on my own.  They were weak and unreliable.  Now here I am gaining strength, little by little trying to take my husband down in Martial Arts.  I am actually participating in a sport.  Not just any sport...Martial Arts.

1 comment: