Saturday, November 23, 2013

'Tis The Season

This upcoming Christmas will be my third year celebrating the holiday with my new diagnosis.  I still have a hard time understanding that I can shop alone and wrap gifts in record time.  Don't hate, me, but I'm nearly done with my shopping and I've wrapped 90 percent of it.  I don't do it because I like to be ahead of the game.  I do it because I fear I won't get it done in time.

The old me had to rely on family taking me to the mall to purchase gifts.  I had to do all my shopping prior to Thanksgiving because I phsyically couldn't manage the mall after Thanksgiving.  Driving a big mobility scooter through crowded paths at the mall just doesn't mix.  As for wrapping, it took be a minimum of ten minutes to wrap each gift.  After three or four gifts, my hands couldn't do it any longer.  I just couldn't manage cutting and don't even get me started on the tape! 

This past week, I was beginning to feel stressed that I hadn't started to wrap the girls presents.  Christmas is closer than it seems. Even though I know I'm capable of completing the task, my mind feels like it's the old me (and can't do it on my own).  So, while John napped, I wrapped.  Before I knew it, I had wrapped a dozen gifts in under two hours!  Me. Alone. By myself!!!  

I am so blessed that I can manage the holiday's on my own, but honestly it's not important what's under our tree.  It's the people I get to share these moments with that matter most.  

2 comments:

  1. I have always been physically able to handle the Christmas busy-ness, but as I have grown older, I have simplified and refined it a great deal, and do only the things that are meaningful to me. As you just said, it's the people I get to share these moments with that matter most. Wise words, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Festive Christmas and a Happy New Year. :)

      Delete