Sunday, March 16, 2014

Independence

My husband Steve, just returned form 10 days traveling to Costa Rica and Brazil (for work).  That left me alone with our three children and a very quite home in the evenings.  Because I have never lived on my own (I went from living at home with my parents to living with Steve), I don't fall asleep easily knowing that I'm the only adult to help my kids in case of an emergency.

As I've explained in previous posts, if I don't get a full 8 hours of sleep, my physical abilities are limited. During those ten days Steve was gone, I dropped items, experienced leg cramps, tripped on my own two feet, etc.  Luckily, he doesn't have to travel for work often and I am able to take a nap in the afternoons while John sleeps.  Plus, I can take additional L-Dopa as needed.

L-Dopa...is my miracle drug.  It allows me to experience life in a way that I never dreamed.  You see, I was able to be home alone with my kids.  Before L-Dopa, when Steve traveled for work, we had to make arrangements for someone to stay with me or plan for friends and family to stop by and check in on us.  To be an independent mom is so liberating.  Yes, it's a lot of work, but knowing I can do it makes the days go by faster and worry free while my husband is gone.   Instead, I think about how lucky I am to have the ability to do it on my own.  What a gift!


No comments:

Post a Comment