Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I cooked

Before my new diagnosis, I HATED cooking.  My hands didn't allow me to chop vegetables or even open a can easily.  The idea of standing at the stove to brown hamburger seemed nearly impossible.  I would always have to cook the family dinner in the morning (that's when my muscles were at there best) and then heat it up in the oven or microwave at supper time.  Whenever a cookbook gave a prep time on a recipe, I knew that I had to triple the time.

Today I made Chicken Penne Pasta, a recipe from my good friend, Angie.  She gave me the recipe 11 years ago and I only made it once because it took me so long to make.  When I was done cooking it, I was so exhausted that I didn't know if I had the energy to eat it.

When I made the delicious dish this afternoon, I enjoyed chopping the red pepper, onion and asparagus.  I was able to cut the chicken up AND fry it up over the stove.  I boiled the noodles and was able to drain them without burning myself.  It may have taken me an hour, being a new cook and all, but I did it!  And it was yummy.  I was able to make dinner for my family and still have the energy to clean up afterwards.  That never happened before.  Sure, I may love eating dinner out, but I'm looking forward to cooking many new dishes.  In fact, I'd love for you to send me some to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment