Sunday, January 12, 2014

Smiles Not Stares

 I came across this wonderful photograph on Facebook the other day.  The woman who wrote this has Cerabal Palsy, which is similar to Spastic Dipligia (my original diagnosis).  This photo jumped out at me and brought so many memories rushing back to me in a matter of seconds.


I can honestly say that prior to my diagnosis of DRD, I don't recall a time when I went out in public and wasn't stared at.  When I was a little girl and would complain about strangers not taking their eyes off my walking, my mom would quickly remark, "Their just looking because your so cute."  Of course, I knew that wasn't the reason, but it made me forget about the gawker, even if for only a moment.  

I have no doubt that most of the people who had a hard time taking their eyes off the girl with the spastic walk, were good people.  I don't judge you or wish you ill will.  I only ask that from this point on, you make a conscious effort to not stare at the adults or children who cannot control their physical limitations.  The memories I have will be with me forever, but I'd love for the disabled children nowadays to be able to look back at their childhood and not remember receiving a long, blank stare.  

Please feel free to check out the Facebook page I got this photo from. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Advocating-For-Cerebral-Palsy-Awareness/689521254394142

No comments:

Post a Comment